Depending on the province, most Doctors of Optometry can prescribe therapeutic pharmaceutical agents (TPAs) to treat certain eye diseases and conditions, such as infections, inflammations, allergies, diseases and injuries. TPAs may be administered orally or topically.
Depending on the province, an authorized Doctor of Optometry can prescribe medication to treat:
- Bacterial and viral eye infections;
- Eyelid infections and inflammation, such as Blepharitis and Styes;
- Inflammation of the eye itself, such as anterior uveitis;
- Eye pain due to dry eyes;
- Allergic conjunctivitis;
- Superficial corneal foreign bodies;
- Red, sore, irritated eyes due to contact lens wear;
- Pre- and post-operative conditions associated with cataract or refractive surgery.