Optometric Bridging Program

Moving To Canada to Practice Optometry
International graduates are considered to be those individuals who have obtained their optometric education from a school other than those accredited by the Accreditation Council on Optometric Education (ACOE).

International graduates may be eligible to obtain a license or certificate of registration to practice in a province or territory in Canada. International graduates are encouraged to contact the optometric regulator in the province or territory in which they are interested to determine if they are eligible for a license or certificate of registration to practice in that jurisdiction. International graduates should contact the International Optometric Bridging Program. For international graduates wishing to practice in Québec, contact the Ordre des optométristes du Québec 

Information for ACOA Accredited Optometry Program Students

Once you have graduated from an Accreditation Council on Optometric Education accredited School of Optometry, you are able to apply directly to the Canadian Examiners in Optometry to challenge the national entry to practice examination – the Canadian Assessment of Competence in Optometry (CACO). For test dates, pre-requisites, application forms, fees and other related information, go to

For information on applying to practice in a province of your choice, contact your provincial regulatory body via the Federation of Optometric Regulatory Authorities of Canada (FORAC).