Optometry in the Media
The Canadian Association of Optometrists frequently receives inquiries from newspaper reporters, television and radio producers as well as from consumer magazines. Media outlets inquire about a number of topics including: October Eye Health Month, contact lenses, UV protection, regular eye examinations and frequency, early detection of eye diseases, aging vision (macular degeneration), occupational safety standards, health insurance coverage and children’s vision.
The Canadian Association of Optometrists understands the importance of answering each inquiry and matches the request with the most appropriate optometric source. We always appreciate the willingness and flexibility of the CAO member optometrists who answer these calls, usually on particularly short notice.
Below are examples of CAO members who are profiled in the media.
- ‘Eyes are windows to health’ – by Dr. Todd Wilbee, as seen in The Windsor Star, May 15.
- ‘Hockey players east of Edmonton set world record for longest game’ – Dr. Brent Saik, Edmonton spearheads effort to break world record for longest hockey game – 2 teams of 20 played for 241 continuous hours, raising $300,000 for pediatric cancer research.
- ‘Fleury’s forecast: whiteout; Senators fan didn’t mean to aid the enemy’ – Dr. Janet Leduc, Ottawa helps Pittsburg Penguin goalie Marc-André Fleury to Stanley Cup Playoffs.
- ‘The Eyes Have It’ – Barbara Aggerholm’s December, 2007 report on Dr. Graham Strong, Canada’s only forensic optometrist. Available with the kind permission of The Record.
- ‘Today’s Parent’ – published a CAO ‘Letter to the Editor’ in its May, 2007 issue.
- The report by Giselle Bernardo aired on ‘Global News at 6 with Lynda Steele and Gord Steinke’ March 2, 2005. Available with the kind permission of CanWest.Click on the player to see the report.
- ‘Oh say can you see’ – available with the kind permission of Marjorie Bentley. Feb. 8, 2005, page A20 of the Globe and Mail.
- ‘Better Health: How many of us go for comprehensive eye exams?’ Available with kind permission from The New RO, Ottawa.Click on the player to see the report.
- ‘Open your Eyes’ – as seen in MacLean’s Oct.25 Health issue.
- ‘The ABCs of Eye Health’ – available with kind permission from Your Health magazine, produced by the Capital Health Region in Edmonton, Alberta.
- ‘Vision for learning, Vision for Life’ – by Glen Herbert. Available with kind permission from What’s Up Kids family magazine.
- ‘Canada celebrates Eye Health Month’ – as seen in The Ottawa Sun, Oct. 23.
- ‘Your Eyes deserve an Optometrist’ – as seen in MacLean’s Oct. 27 Health issue.