The Canadian Association of Optometrists (CAO) is the national federation representing just over 4,500 doctors of optometry and students of optometry in Canada. Our mission is to enhance the quality, availability and accessibility of vision-related health care; promote the independent and ethical decision-making of our members; and assist optometrists in practicing to the highest standards of patient care. Optometrists become members of CAO when they join their provincial association. If you are a doctor of optometry in Canada and not currently a member of CAO, please contact your provincial association or the CAO office for more information.
Membership is required for all CAO programs.
CAO offers complimentary membership to students during their period of study. If you are enrolled in a recognized school of optometry in Canada or the United States, contact the CAO office for an application form.
In addition to the benefits optometrists receive from their provincial optometric association, CAO membership offers the following member benefits:
- Political action, advocacy and government liaison
- Public relations (including the Eye Health Council of Canada)
- Human resources and economics
- Professional development, education and research
- Access to member website
- Eye Health Month – October
- Optometric Assistant’s Course
- Occupational Vision Plan
- National clearing house of information
CAO has alliances with a number of organizations, with special rates and discounts to practitioners who are members of CAO.
Insurance and Banking
- Scotiabank (for members and student members)
- Professional liability insurance (not applicable in Ontario and Quebec where provincial programs are available)
- Home and auto insurance
- Group health
- Merchant credit cards (Visa and MasterCard)
- Private label dress frame program (Centennial Optical)
- Telephone on-hold
- Car rental
- Digital signage
- Job board for eye care professionals
Detailed information about the programs is posted on the CAO member only website. Login and learn more.